In July 2007 the Sudan Catholic Bishops’ Conference (SCBC) established The Catholic University of Sudan (CUofS) as a national institution with branches/faculties to be placed in Northern and Southern Sudan. The following year, in September 2008, the University inaugurated the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS) in Juba with some 40 pioneer students in the Department of Economics and Business Administration. In 2011, after the independence of South Sudan, the name was changed to The Catholic University of South Sudan (CUofSS). In August of the same year began a Department of Education to train secondary school teachers. In October 2009, the University opened the Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (FAES) in Wau (Wau State). In May 2012, the CUofSS was affiliated to the Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA). The University granted certificates of completion to 22 students in May 2012 and in October the Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA) in Nairobi awarded them a BA degree in Economics. In May 2013, 59 students completed the CUofSS program and in October, CUEA awarded them a BA degree. Since 2012 CuofSS has over 500 graduates. During the academic year 2015-16, CUofSS has an enrollment of more than 1400 students in Juba Campus and 356 students in FAES/Wau Campus.